Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Banana Muffins

 Have you tried the soaked grain recipes for muffins?  This process helps to make a softer, fluffier whole grain muffin.  This recipe is one of the first I ever tried.  At that time, I would make it in my Bosch Mixer/Blender.  Some time after purchasing it though the blender part died.  I decided to try it in my new Pampered Chef Deluxe Cooking Blender.  I knew it had the power to grind the grain and it would not damage it for the batter to sit overnight.  


Here is my tweak of this recipe.  I want to try it with pumpkin next time. 

Phase 1:

  • 3/4 cup of buttermilk
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 2 T. melted butter
  • 1/3 c. raw honey
  • 1 1/2 very ripe bananas, broken in pieces
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 1/3 c. Pastry whole wheat berries (NOT flour.  1 1/2 c. if using other grains like spelt or kamut.)


Blend all together starting at the lowest speed and increasing to the highest speed.  Let it blend for 3 minutes to be sure that all of the grain has been ground.  You may have to add additional liquid to keep the batter churning for 3 full minutes.  Cover blender and let it sit overnight at room temperature. If you make this in the morning for the evening, just let it sit 8+ hours and even up to 24 hours before finishing with Phase 2.  This is similar to a sour dough process. 


Phase 2: 

Add 1 egg to the blender and hit the pulse button a time or two to blend. I actually put the leavening agents in a little cup so all I have to do in the morning is dump it in after I blend in the egg.  Now add the following:

  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt

Pulse a few more times to blend in the leavening agents.  Now you can add walnuts or pecans if you family likes them.  To ensure they are easy to remove from the muffin tins, I use paper muffin cups and then spray the muffin cups with vegetable spray.  

Bake 20 minutes at 350*.  Cool muffins in the pan for 3-5 minutes and then serve warm with fresh butter and honey.  


Alternatively, you can use freshly milled flour and mix phase one with a wooden spoon and cover until morning.  Then proceed with phase 2 and bake the next day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment