Thursday, November 5, 2020

 I am trying out a new recipe for Boston Baked Beans from The Hillbilly Housewife website.  


Boston Baked Beans

Makes 16 servings and freezes well.
 

  • 32 oz. bag of navy beans (I am not soaking them, just sort and rinse)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 to 6 oz of bacon bits (because that is what I have on hand.  You can also use raw, chopped bacon ends.)

I sorted and rinsed the bag of beans and then put them into my 8 qt. Instant Pot.  I covered them by about 4 inches of water.  The main thing is to have plenty of water for the beans to rehydrate.  I don't need them soft and fully cooked, so I chose the "bean" setting, which is 30 minutes on the Instant Pot.  Let them cook and then allow the pressure to release naturally.  So I set it up before I had 2 hours of online teaching, knowing It would be ready around 12:30 pm, which is perfect timing for dinner.

Drain off the cooking water. In a very large casserole (4-quart or larger) combine the semi-cooked beans, salt, dry mustard, molasses, sugar and chopped bacon. I am using my Pampered Chef 6 qt. Enameled Dutch Oven that I earned in the Fall Free for All. The deep covered baker or Rockcrok are all good choices as well.  Basically a big ol' pot with a lid. ;-)   Add enough hot water to barely come to the top of the beans. Put a lid on the casserole, or tin foil. Bake the beans at 300° for about 5 to 7 hours. They will be tender, fragrant and delicious.  The cooked beans may be frozen in two cup portions to substitute for canned baked beans or canned pork ’n beans in any recipe. They make a good main dish, or a side dish for a large crowd. This recipe serves about 16. I make such a large amount so I can have plenty of leftovers to freeze.  I am also putting Rhodes Frozen rolls out to thaw to go with them for dinner.  Somehow I got my grocery list mixed up and ended up with over 60 frozen rolls in my freezer.  I will serve a salad on the side and might make a pie for dessert.  


No comments:

Post a Comment