Saturday, June 24, 2017

Stocking the Pantry #2 - Chicken Enchiladas

Stocking the Pantry: Chicken Enchiladas

I am working on gradually stocking my pantry with ingredients for dishes that make a regular rotation in our monthly meal plans.  You can use store store-bought or homemade ingredients to make any of the recipes I am stocking in my pantry.  I find that having some basics stocked up in the pantry makes it so much easier to eat at home, save money, and eat healthier.  I hope this series helps you with your own pantry organization.

This grocery trip, will find me canning chicken and stocking up so that we can enjoy chicken enchiladas.  Chicken enchiladas are really a favorite here.  I have two recipes for them, but this is the recipe that is easiest to keep on hand.  I won't stock up on the corn/flour tortillas as that is something that I buy regularly and keep on hand.  If however, I happen to be out of tortillas, they are so easy to make with grains that I keep in bulk. 

I will plan for chicken enchiladas to have them once per month. (this link is to a recipe that is very similar to mine, for those who like precise measurements.)

12 large cans of cream of chicken soup 
12 cans green chilis
12 cans sliced black olives
12 pints of canned chicken (If canning your own, buy 48 small chicken breast halves)
1 large container of dehydrated onions
**Add 12 cans of cream of mushroom soup to have ingredients for King Ranch Chicken

To Have on Hand:
fresh green onions
fresh diced tomato
shredded cheddar cheese, Monterrey Jack or a combination of the two
sour cream
salsa
fresh cilantro (grows like a weed here in Central Texas)
tortillas (Keeper of the Home has a recipe that I like to use when making them from scratch)


To make Chicken Enchiladas:

Combine equal parts of cream of chicken soup with sour cream.  I use a large can or two small cans to make a 9x13 or a sheet pan of chicken enchiladas.  I also stir in 1 small can of green chilis as well as some shredded cheese.  When this is well blended, add in the cooked chicken.  Fill tortillas with filling and roll.  Lay them seam side down on the 9x13 or sheet pan.  For an easy clean up, you can line the pan with foil.  Once all tortillas are rolled, put the remaining filling over the top of the enchiladas.  Top with shredded cheese and sliced black olives.  Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.  Serve with diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro,  fresh green onions and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment