Monday, April 23, 2012

Free Homesteading E-Magazine

The Homesteading Community Post
I just enjoyed reading this lovely e-magazine and highly recommend it!  I loved the article on keeping ducks.  It has been many, many years since I have owned ducks.  They were named Calvin and Hobbes and lived behind our little 14 x 48 foot trailer house when we were newlyweds.  You know, back in the good ole days.  It was an impromptu purchase for Easter one year.  I just couldn't resist buying a purple and pink duckling as an Easter gift for Mr. P.  Of course, I bought two because I didn't want lonely ducks!  These ducks were part of the reason we now have a homestead rule of "No new critters, unless their habitat/shed/ barn etc is built and ready to go."  Although I will admit it was many years before we realized that this should be a rule.  We purchased/adopted/ took in many other critters before I came to my senses on that issue.  I bought them and they lived in our tub for a while (can't remember how long, but long enough) and then we purchased them a really fine plastic kiddie pool from Wal-Mart.  Nothing but the best for those ducks!  Sadly, a plastic pool offers no protection from coyote nor the local school bus.  However, had I read this magazine, I could have made them a little pen for almost free.  Of course, then the internet was all but non-existent.  And people still used word processors and typewriters.  And cell phones were as large as a brick.  And gas was a LOT cheaper than it is today.  And we didn't eat a loaf of bread that I didn't make from scratch. And we were very poor because we were both going to college full time.  I guess a lot of things have changed in the 20 plus years since Mr. P and I married.  Where did the time go?  And then again, some things stay the same.  Maybe I should look into getting ducks so the kids can enjoy them as much as we did back then and maybe we can even make them a little pen like in the magazine and I can tell the kids the story of the two ducks I bought for Easter 20 years ago.

Blessings,
Mrs. P 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had ducks. LOVE the names! I've been checking out books and learning about them and really, really want some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessalyn agrees with you. She tried to buy ducks at Easter time with her tooth fairy money.

      Delete
  2. I will definitely check out this e-magazine. I'd really like to have some chickens. Well, no, I'd really like to have my own eggs, have chickens to look at, but someone else to take care of them and clean up after them. I haven't found someone up for that deal, so guess the chickens will have to wait until I am retired.
    Love you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky in that Grandad, who lives next door, raises and cares for the chickens on our farm. I get all the free eggs I want. I do, however, have to wash them. When I'm retired, I'm getting some of those fancy, fluffy chickens!

      Delete